Sustainable fishing guarantees there will be populations of ocean and freshwater wildlife for the future. Aquatic environments are home to countless species of fish and invertebrates, most of which are consumed as food. http://education.nationalgeographic.org/
Albion Farms and Fisheries have led the industry in sustainable fishing practices for the past several years. In fact, Albion voluntarily discontinued selling Chilean sea bass in 2005 due to the overwhelming evidence of overfishing. Albion Farms and Fisheries works very closely with the local Ocean Wise program, the nationwide Seachoice organization, and the global Marine Stewardship Council (MSC).
Albion Farms and Fisheries are able to pinpoint the exact area in which seafood products are harvested and the method used because Albion sources from reputable, traceable fisheries. This information will be shared with customers, should any issues arise concerning a fishery. Albion Farms and Fisheries’ Closer to the Source division (CTS) imports specific products globally because they adhere to the following internationally accepted sustainability principles:
- Harvest only abundant and resilient fish populations
- Operate a well-managed fishery
- Utilize fishing methods that have minimal by-catch and minimal effect on the habitat and the ocean floor
Albion Farms and Fisheries also offers sustainably raised meats that have a wide range of nutritional benefits. Compared to factory farmed meat, sustainable meat from animals raised on pasture contains less fat, fewer calories and higher levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids, vitamin E, beta carotene and other important nutrients. As an added benefit, sustainably raised meat is produced without the use of growth hormones, antibiotics or unsavory feed additives that undermine public health. http://www.sustainabletable.org/
The following sustainable brands, exclusive to Albion Farms and Fisheries, offer health benefits, product safety, and superior taste produced under stringent standards of humane treatment and environmental stewardship.
- Rossdown Poultry: produced in an environmentally sensitive manner at family-run farms.
- Sakura Pork: pigs are raised without the use of Ractopamine (a drug commonly used as a feed additive to promote leanness), and they are vegetable grain fed without bone meal or other fillers.
- White Stripe Lamb: fed a diet of all natural clovers, graze in Lucerne and rye pastures, naturally raised without antibiotics or hormone growth promotants.
- Beretta Farms: 100% Canadian Angus Beef sustainable from conception to consumption. Grass fed, hormone and steroid free, raised on vegetarian feed without the use of animal by-products.