- Approximate count is 21 to 28 per lb.
- Live Atlantic mussels are packed in 5 lb. vexar bags
- Harvest date and harvest area are listed on accompanying shellfish tag
- Keep the accompanying shellfish tags on file for 90 days
Handling & Storage
- Keep mussels chilled between 1° to 4°C
- Store in non-airtight container in cooler, cover with a damp cloth
- Discard any broken shells, and open mussels that do not close when lightly tapped
- Minimum shelf life is 3 days from date of delivery
- Scrub shells, and pull any remaining “beard” or byssus thread
Available September to June
- Moderate flavour
- Medium texture
- Live product has superior texture compared to frozen
- For best texture and clean, ocean crisp flavour, steam until just open
- Overcooking can sometimes toughen and shrink the meat – don’t overcook!
- Suggested appetizer portion is ½ lb., entrée portion is 1 lb.
- Recipe: Grilled Mussel and Potato Salad
From Our Family to Your Table