Salt Spring Mussel
- Approximate count is 18 to 24 mussels per lb.
- These live Salt Spring mussels are packed in 5 lb. vexar bags
- Grown locally on Salt Spring Island
- Harvest date and harvest area are listed on accompanying shellfish tag
- Keep the accompanying shellfish tag on file for 90 days
Handling & Storage
- Keep mussels chilled between 1° to 4°C
- Store in the cooler on ice in a non airtight container and allow water to drain
- Cover with a clean, wet cloth
- Discard any broken shells and open mussels that do not close when lightly tapped
- Scrub shells and pull any remaining “beard” or byssus thread off
- Minimum shelf life is 3 days from date of delivery
Available fresh May to February
- Moderate flavour
- Medium texture
- Live product has superior texture compared to frozen
- For best texture and clean ocean crisp flavour, steam until just open
- Overcooking can sometimes toughen and shrink the meat–don’t overcook!
- Suggested appetizer portion is ½ lb., entrée portion is 1 lb.
From Our Family to Your Table